Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Needles, CA


Kelly Elizabeth - I'm just saying this b/c I am familiar with your texting fetish :-) Our cellular provider charges us $.05 to receive and send them. Had we known how much we were going to be on the thing we wouldn't have gone with the pre-paid disposable "Hi, I'm a terrorist" phone.

Because we arrived at 2200 (10:00 pm for non-military folk) I can't tell you a thing about Needles other than it is the first shred of civilization on I-40 after leaving Barstow. As soon as we got on I-40, there was a big sign that said, "Wilmington, NC - 2,550 miles". Ouch.

We billed this trip to J as a big adventure, just like the ones that Dora and Diego go on. He bought it but I fear that it's not living up to his expectations. Couple that with his lack of time-distance perspective and he's not really digging this trip. Since K2 and M are content to eat/sleep/poop & repeat, they are traveling without much complaint.

Regardless, everyone is in bed including K1 and it is time to follow.

Thanks to all for the prayers. His hand has been all over this process without doubt.

-T

6 comments:

Kelly Elizabeth said...

haaaa.. ok, I won't text. OR I will send you a check for $20 and have CREDITS!!

I am google mapping where you are... thanks for keeping us posted!

MH Toth said...

portable DVD players are God's gift to long distance trips...you can buy them at Target/Walmart- probably the PX and attach them with the included straps to the back of headrests- we have the two screen version- that plays one DVD- and for when the twins are sleeping J can use headphones...it's how I survived numerous trips from NC to IN with Marianne...

oh- by the way--- YIPPIE HALLELUJAH!!! I am so so SOOOOOO excited, happy, joyous for y'all! Can't wait to learn more about your family of 5.

Lisa P said...

K- You crack me up! 2,550 miles...."Ouch" is right. Poor J; 5 yrs and on a cross country trip.....he's a trooper....I'm sure you're having some funny conversations. :) Happy trails and drive safe. Wish we were in NC to welcome you. When do you plan on heading back home? We'll be in NC the first two weeks in May.

Lisa P

Karyn said...

"Hi I'm A Terrorist" Phone. ROFL.

Car trips with kids are hard....I don't know what to suggest except frequent stops, lots of games (I Spy, Color Game, etc) or picking up a cd of children's songs... which will have both of you wishing you were -under-the car in short order, of course.

Still and all - very happy news...

Kelly Elizabeth said...

LOVING the pics... LOOK AT THAT Grocery Getter you have packed with kids and STUFF!!

Hi Kids!! This is your aunt Kelly speaking... now, take a nap! quit fighting! who smells funny? You can't be hungry - you just ate!! The next stop is soon! hold it!!

Anastasiya said...

Drive safely! I took a trip to Kure Beach/Ft. Fisher and back with a 6 wk old and it wasn't fun on the way back with two parents helping out. So good luck! Will keep you in prayers.
I'm expecting a call once you in F-nam:) I e-mailed my phone # to Kristin's gmail account. It's still the same.
hope to see you soon:)

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...