Today was all about bureaucracy and circumventing it.
After spending a small fortune at the post office to send various items [way] ahead of us to the land of the morning calm, the clan went to the county courthouse to pick up a copy of our filed petition of adoption. This was to be the golden ticket which would pave the way for everything else that needs to be done. Upon reading it, we realized that it had none of the verbage required by the military for entering them into the system (DEERS) as dependents.
After standing in line for all eternity, I (sans clan) made it into the greater waiting area and was directed to an inner office to handle our non-standard issue. The lady there looked at the petitions, sucked on her teeth, clucked, shook her head, tapped her foot, and played with her hair....none of which were good signs. I was directed to a supervisor who began to pour over the documents. I took a quick look around her office and determined that it was time to schmooze like I had never schmoozed before. In the end it worked. It wasn't pretty, I'm not proud (maybe a little), but the kids are now bonafide wards in the eyes of the DoD. This means that we can move on with the process and that we no longer have to hold our breath at the playground, terrified that one of them will break something while uninsured.
-T
4 comments:
Good job Ted!!!
Maybe you can teach Mike this schmoozing you speak of ...
He is currently knee deep in the same teeth sucking and foot tapping.
And while I'm glad to know that you can now go to playground without holding your breath, how's the walking down the hall going?
Love you guys!
Go to playground ... that was my Korean.
OK.. so I have been singing "THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER" for three days now.. but I think I can speak for all of us checking in on you guys and say that we were SO SPOILED with daily posts before... and we all feel just so out of touch with your family of FIVE now... What? are you BUSY or something??
Post a Comment