This is not a picture we took to put in our adoption profile.
Most of you know that in the world of “open adoption” the adoptive couple puts together a booklet full of photos and text about how fabulous they are….and how great a choice they would make for parents.
Our facilitation agency (hack hack….don’t get me started on them) was very strict about their expectations. If you said you fish – well, they wanted pictures of you fishing in your profile. If you garden? Photos of you working in the garden.
Um. Yeah…… ‘Cause I ALWAYS have a friend with a camera standing by when I’m elbow deep in dirt.
That brings me to today’s photo.
Every year I bake cookies. Lots of cookies. BEAUTIFUL cookies (if I do say so myself). Well, our agency insisted that we put a photo of this special tradition in our profile. I’m not sure we ever got that for them.
Seriously? When I’m baking, at BEST I’ve showered that morning. I certainly haven’t washed my hair. It is up. AWAY FROM THE INGREDIENTS. I usually don’t have on a nice outfit.(or a pretty “lookatmeIamsocute” apron) I’m not a neat baker really…. I usually have flour – everywhere. …the counters, me, my hair……..
Anyway….. As I was rolling out the dough for the shortbread I asked T to take a photo.
A photo that is NOT for our adoption profile.
A photo simply because, I thought….. "Hey, I’m baking. We have kids. This is cool. Let’s put it on our blog."
Because we can.
I keep thinking about what Christmas Eve is going to be like…… wrapping presents, candles burning, maybe (probably) a glass of red wine….. Checking on our little sugar plums before we go to bed……
And Christmas Day.
I said to T “I can’t believe that…. (and here is where I started crying)…. we FINALLY get to sit back and drink our coffee, while we watch our children open their gifts.”
We have waited a long time for this.
I know things are still uncertain with the twins. We don’t know what the future holds.
I do know this.
They are ours today.
And on Christmas?
Ours.
I’m not doing all the cookies I normally do. For a few reasons. But. Here is what I think the kids fav’s will be.
J – Peanut Butter Cups
M – Chocolate Covered Oreos
K2 – Shortbread
Xo
K.
5 comments:
Living in and for the moment. Beautiful. You are amazing, K.
I love following this blog. You have such a beautiful and pure heart.
May this season be filled with all the blessings it has to offer you and yours.
xo
Jeanne
YOUR kids opening presents from Santa Christmas Morning...BLISS. SOOOO happy for you. And you look SOOO cute baking in your kitchen pinks... But.. I think you need to eat a few more cookies this year... you're so teenie!!!!
I love this picture.
And I will miss your cookies again this year.
And on Christmas Eve (which will be Christmas morning for you), I will be thinking about you and T, watching your kids open presents. Take lots of pictures - and what Kelly said, eat something will you please?
Love you -
Ditto on the eating!! hahahaha You do look great though :)
There really isn't anything more amazing then watching the munchkins on Christmas morning...okay maybe their excitement leading up to the "big day". Yay for you all this year!!
yum, yum, and yum - LOVE it!
i miss you so ...
Post a Comment