Wednesday, January 13, 2010

waking up

What did you think of when you woke up this morning?

After I had my morning coffee (OK, actually, I make myself a latte each morning.... I have a little steel pot and a mini frother).... ANYWAY)...... IIIIIIIII decided that it is time to potty train.

Yup.

Potty train.

Twins.

I have no books on "best techniques", no experience, and, absolutely no clue.....

I've asked around and it seems that really, pretty much EVERYONE approaches this WONDERFUL task, in different ways and at different ages...... I combined the things that sounded do-able to me, and started the process.

I bought the little Gerber (cotton) underwear (they are trainers, so they have a tiny bit of extra padding).... I bought two packs for each, and then one pack of the waterproof type for each.

M managed to get a poop in her diaper this morning before we switched over to the panties. K2 did not poop all day. Hmmmm..... M made all her pees in the potty today, K2 made two of his five pees in the potty (the other three he made on the floor).

(laughing).

Anyway.... I don't want to start a big potty training forum here, but, I am interested in some of the positive things you guys have learned in your vast experiences. If you have any great tips to share, I am interested. I have decided not to use food as a reward in any way. I have a few reasons for this, none of them are judgmental, they are for my own personal reasons, as well as reasons that apply to the twins and their lives before us. Using food, snacks, M&M's etc.... aren't an option for us. Other than that, I'm totally open.

To make this a little bit interesting to our readers that aren't as excited about peeing in the potty as we are..... I have two funnies for you.

One - towards the end of the day both of the twins decided that they wanted to keep their swim goggles on while they went potty. It's actually a pretty funny sight to see this tiny little person, clinging to the side of the toilet for balance, looking up, with swim goggles on.

Two - I am very tired at the end of the day. Like whoamIhowdidIgethere TIRED. OK, so during our bedtime routine, I put M on the potty one more time, (they are wearing diapers to bed of course).... I asked M if she was done, she said "NO" so I let her be for a bit, when she called out "all done" to me, I peeked in the toilet to see what masterpiece she had left in there, I noticed something....

I had left her panties on. :)

Nice going Mommy - way to train your children not to pee in their pants. :)

xo
K.

6 comments:

Trails of Grace said...

Kristen that last one is pretty funny.. can you imagine her little mind... Hmm... this must be part of this training Mommy is putting us through..oh well..." LOL.

Richele said...

(giggling)

LOVE the swim goggle method - i think it's new?

i've read of people having success with some three day method - haven't researched it yet.

heard of boys using cheerios as targets in the potty ... s'pose girls could, too.

good luck!

Jennifer said...

We didn't have a "method" so to speak and we trained 4 of them lol All at their own pace and their own style. We were determined to train A before 3. So we decided to do some of what we did with #3. We didn't leave the house for about 5 days. Cold turkey...no pull ups, no diapers at bed...just undies. It was painful (as in time and laundry) but we found his "trigger" and used it. It was spring and he wanted to be out with his sisters so he had to use the potty before he could go outside. I am not beyond bribing hahaha If he had an accident he had to come in and stay in until he went on the pot. He had some accidents at night along the way but essentially by the end of Memorial Day weekend he was trained. 27 months. We are so proud of him. He will be 3 soon. I know not everyone will agree and that is okay. Everyone parents different. This worked for us.

BTW, I love the thought of the goggles! Pictures are needed! hahahaha

Anonymous said...

I too have had different methods with each child. Do what you think is best is my best advice. Some things will work and others will not, but go with your gut and how your kids react. Love the thought of them with goggles and how M still had on the undies!!! Also, we went through LOTS of M&M's in our house too!!!!

Heather

mumbro1982 said...

hey guys, just read this. I might rethink food rewards. I've trained quite a few children and have always had success with them (20 or 30 at least). I used malted milk balls or gumdrops. The first few days they got one just for trying and after that only when they were successful. I do not say good girl or boy for success I say good job or well done. I guess I don't want them to tie their notion of being good to pleasing me. they are born good and do good acts. weird? I guess but that's me in a nutshell. good luck now that you've started you have to stick with it and see it through. it will save you tons of money. with love from your big cuz.

Jenn England said...

Good job, Mom.
I did the "wait til he's three and hope for the best method".
The forst time he peed in the check out line at Walmart and had to do the rest of our errands in skivvies only was about the last time we had that kind of accident. The best advice I can give is that no self sufficient child goes to college in diapers. Keep a stiff upper lip and keep a firm handle on your sense of humor.

Good luck!

~ Jenn

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...