Friday, January 22, 2010

a lamp

I was reading from my Max Lucado devotional this morning and the scripture reference was Psalm 119:105. The verse is a familiar one:

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”

Lucado talked about that. It’s a lamp for our path, not a crystal ball into our future.

The vision is limited.

It’s only what we need.

I started to think about walking in the dark with a flashlight (since I’ve never actually walked with a “lamp” before). Really that flashlight supplies me with what I need for the very. next. step.

Nothing more.

I have just enough light to see - just what I need to see.

I have often thought about the (limited) knowledge I had going into this whole process. HAD I known what was in store would I have gone running (fast) in the opposite direction?

God wants us to trust Him.

How far do I actually want to see into the future? Just to the end of this process?

What about beyond that?

What about where we will all “be” in five years?

How much vision into the future is healthy?

When would I be satisfied?

Maybe it’s even more than God wanting us to trust Him. Maybe He is also protecting us from full, uncensored knowledge.

Would I have wanted to know for example, that I would be burying my Mother on her 64th Birthday?

Would I have wanted to know that I would lose one of my best friends to cancer, after only six years of friendship?

Would I have wanted to know how many days (and nights) my husband would be away from me (on deployments)? What if I had known that on our wedding day?

Would I have wanted to know I would lose the Father-in-Law I adored so much, so suddenly?

Would I have wanted to know how long the journey to children would be? How painful it would be?

We think so.

We think we want to know.

I don’t think we could handle it.

As hard as it is to trust and to walk in faith.

Maybe full knowledge of the future is even more difficult.

Not only do we have a God who wants us to trust Him.....

We have a Father, who wants to protect us.

xo
K.

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Thank you for these words - they have brought me comfort on a grey dismal day in England. I too feel that, though we yearn to know the future, it would not be good for us to know it. If I knew that I would lose my son aged three would I have had him? If I knew it would take five miscarriages to get two gorgeous boys would I have even tired (probably!). Would I have wanted to see my mom die of cancer at 53, leaving behind me at 20 still desperately needing her? Thank God we only see a little bit into the future - he protects us always.

Caroline xxx

K and T said...

Caroline...
Do you have a blog? Are we connected through friends?
K.

Caroline said...

K - no, I don't have a blog but connected to you through another blog - I think it was Bring the rain? - about two months ago - read all your back posts too. I love to read your blogs as you have such faith and have such a wonderful attitude. I am sorry if I should not have posted a comment without asking - I don't know the etiquette for posting!
C.

K and T said...

No need for apologies!! I love that you commented, I was just curious about how we know each other.
Thanks for following our journey. :)
And.... welcome. :)

tge said...

You have no idea what this post means to me. Thank you.

K and T said...

good eggs.... I'm so glad.... It's always nice to hear from you. :)
xo

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...