Saturday, July 12, 2008

Itaewon

So we went out today, twice actually, to Itaewon. Itaewon is a shopping area right in Seoul.

When we first walked out of the post gate I felt my heart race a bit. It's so strange to be walking around in a city where everything is in - well - Korean.:) 

A&S showed us all their favorite places....A introduced me to her bag guy, her shoe/boot guy, her jeweler.... It's exciting (and a bit nerve racking) to meet so many new people and see so many new things. My mind is on complete overload and I find myself forgetting things that I've just been told. 

We had a great lunch. The beef was cooked in the middle of the table (NOTHING like the places in the states where they cook on the big, flat, grille thing and chop stuff up), there were about twelve bowls of all different kinds of stuff on the table, plus a couple of dishes of lettuce to wrap our stuff in. It was delicious and the company (S&A) was fabulous! 

Tonight when we went back into Itaewon it was with M&R, a couple we know from NY. They have been here about a year and were kind enough to show us some of their favorite spots as well. 

Even though I'm super tired I have to say it was great to go out there twice in the same day, because what I saw the first time was reinforced the second time. It's definitely a city that I feel safe in. I can absolutely see myself venturing out for a day on my own (at some point). 

Funny thing... I saw an Outback Steakhouse, a Starbucks (thank you Lord), a DUNKIN DONUTS!!! Hello????? You're hard pressed to find those in NC, forget about CA!!! Oh, there's a new Hard Rock Cafe here... also Calvin Klein has a new store here as well. 

I've already got lots of great Christmas present ideas as well.... 

If I'm going to stay "in the moment" as they say...... Then right now, in this moment, I'm good. I'm happy. Excited. 

If I'm going to think ahead.... eek. Will I be OK? Will I make friends? Will I ever feel like this is home? Will I LIKE our home? Will I ever be able to find my way around comfortably and confidently? What about the adoption? When is that going to happen? Will it be hard to do from here? What about in processing for me? Will I know where to go? Is it hard? Will I be confused? What about the driving test? (Yup, I need to get a Korean drivers license)..... 

But. I am going to CHOOSE to stay in this moment. For now. :) 

ox
K. 

3 comments:

Karyn said...

Someone once told me it is essential that we CHOOSE our circumstances - we CHOOSE to be happy right this second, we CHOOSE to be happy we're with the love of our life, we CHOOSE to be happy because we found a Starbucks - Outback? Dunkies? really? - and so forth.

You will, obviously, have friends, just by virtue of being you. Getting the Korean license (please oh please can you post a picture of it?) will be an ADVENTURE. The adoption - it won't matter if it's difficult to do from there, because having a baby never is. That's why they call it labor. :)

Love you - happy you are happy and feeling safe. xxxooo

Karyn said...

" Adoption - it won't matter if it's difficult to do from there, because having a baby never is." Scratch that - I was trying to be clever - (you'd think I'd learn) -
It should have read: "Adoption - it won't matter if it's difficult to do from there, because having a baby ALWAYS is."

IE: The bureaucratic red tape and nuisancy stuff ... that'll be your version of labor. Remember to do deep breathing.

K and T said...

Wow. Good points! All of them! Thank you. :)

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...