Sunday, July 27, 2008

Good Practice?

I got up at 4 AM this morning to see T off. He'll be gone for a couple of nights. I figure I'll be exhausted tonight b/c I got up so early, so, maybe falling asleep (alone) will come easily.... 

At 7:45 AM I met one of my new friends at the hotel. She's moving out of the hotel today. She's got two little ones. Her husband is w/T, so obviously extra hands were needed. I was happy to help. I spent the morning w/two very sweet children. 

At about 11AM I headed over to the lobby/food court area to catch up on emails and pay bills online. The whole paying bills on line thing is new for me. Also? I have no paper statements to go by for back up, clarity, details, etc..... b/c it seems that getting mail here, forwarded or otherwise, is a challenge. So, I'm trying to also find my statements on line. This should be an easy thing to do, but, when you're just beginning to pay things on line, sometimes there is a bit of clicking around and searching involved... 

So, what was I saying? Right, I was going to pay bills. 

In this lobby/food court area, the area I need to be in to get on line with wifi, there are three large TV's. 

There is also a "hot spot" where picking up the wifi is prime. 

That spot is right under A TV.

This particular TV has been playing CARTOON NETWORK ALL MORNING/DAY... (Yes, it's now "DAY" because I have been here WAY TOO LONG). 

What kind of audience does Cartoon Network draw???? :) Kids. 

So. I've got (very annoying) cartoons blaring overhead, and many, many, MANY children gathered round watching. I mean standing right beside me, pulling up chairs to the table I'm at (which is a small table) watching. And laughing (which is actually kind of cute) and talking, oh and yelling. 

The best part? NO MOMS. 

You heard me. 

At first I assumed these children belonged to someone in the general vicinity. That would make sense, right? Not so much. 

I have noticed in the last 15 minutes or so that some ladies have come around checking in... I guess to make sure their kids are still alive? Not abducted? They came by briefly, then left....
 
Some of the children have left now, hopefully with the folks they belong to....

So, my point? I've been practicing blocking out noise while I pay bills. This was my first time. I can't say I did well, but, it certainly has gotten me thinking.... I'm thinking that I will be either a midnight bill payer or a 5AM bill payer once we have a little one running around the house. I'm not so good at blocking out WHILE dealing with finances.
 
Thankfully, for these children, there is one particular boy, who is VERY, VERY cute. He has given me a smile and patience. :) Because he's just so darn cute. He's got a bright orange "Tigger" shirt on, cammo shorts, and a bright green back pack. He's probably about five. He's got glasses and really big, semi-crooked teeth. His laugh is the kind of laugh that melts you... So sweet and innocent. He is truly entertained by these cartoons. At this point he's the last one standing. He just stood up and walked closer to the TV. He is captivated. Now he's sitting again STARTING at the action on the set.
 
Too Funny.
 
So, bills are paid. 

If any of the emails I sent out today don't make any sense, or have incomplete sentences, or if I call you in the near future asking for $1000.00 because I miss-clicked somewhere along the line... well, now you will know why. :)

Is it bedtime yet?
xo
K.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

I swore I would be a no-TV or 1-hour-per-day-of-TV kind of mom....then I had these two and the tv became my best friend. I detest cartoon network but I do love discovery kids. Hey - it's educational and more wholesome than what they will hear coming out of MY mouth while I try to pay bills.

You're doing great; you'll be phenomenal.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Just you wait...

Not only will you do late-night bill paying, but your house won't stay organized, neat and "nicey-nice"! ROFL!

But kids are definitely worth the chaos that they create!

-Jeanne

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...