Sunday, July 13, 2008

Annyong haseyo! (안녕하세요)

FYI, that means "hello."  Heaven forbid that a simple English word should have an equally short Korean counterpart.  
Shortly after accepting this assignment, K and I were informed by my mentor/friend/ boss/former commander, that we would be inheriting his kickin' ride.  (I'll wait while you laugh)  Don't be fooled into thinking this is some toy.  This Kia Pride (circa 1987-90) sports 13 inch alloys wrapped in low-pro rubber which grabs the asphalt like nobody's bizness.  The slammin' stereo can kick out some serious jams from either the vintage cassette deck or from either the one AM or FM station that broadcast in English.  We
have yet to really appreciate the stereo though, because the suspension has more squeeks and creaks than an 1800's wagon train on the Oregon Trail.  We've been told that the oil hasn't been changed in two years at the very least.  Personally I'm afraid that if I were to change the oil, some of the sludge that is staving off a catastrophic leak might be purged.  So, better off left as is.  Now just because its 1.3L powerplant (yes, there are motorcycles and possibly lawn mowers with bigger engines) puts out some serious horse power and the sweeeet body draws draws a crowd, don't overlook the interior.  This sled sports some dope bamboo seat covers adorned by bloodthirsty pandas that really highlight the car's inherent ferocious nature.

In the second photo, K is enjoying some of the local beverages that we found in the commissary.  It's hard to see but the big green bottle is not Green Tea.  No, it's Minute Maid "Aloe plus".  Imagine that, a liquid that you can consume or slather over your sunburned body.  While K enjoyed her coffee beverage (much like a Starb.cks DoubleSh.t), I took a deep breath and sipped the gooey greenness.  A bit pulpy, a bit on the slimy side, but not all bad.   

-T

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see a photo of Ted actually driving that thing!!!

Karyn said...

Can I just say, seeing K. towering over the car speaks VOLUMES about its ...er...inherently ferocious nature. And dopeness. Word, yo.

Unknown said...

Love the pics!!!! That is a sweet ride. Can't wait for further stories of Korean road trips!

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...