Tuesday, September 30, 2008

fun and not so fun

FUN = last night!

I met C (Korean friend) out in Itaewon for dinner. T is away for a bit, so I'm trying to keep nice and busy. I felt like such a "big girl" out in the city, at night, by myself. We had a fabulous dinner on a garden terrace. The weather was perfect, the wine was delicious, the food was very yummy, and the conversation was really interesting.

We talked a lot about our different cultures... some history of S.K., we compared discrimination within our countries.... we also talked about 9/11 and much to my surprise, I realized that I still can't really talk about that day without crying....

I am really enjoying spending time w/C. She's great and nice and friendly....

NOT SO FUN = I went to the dentist this morning. My Korean dentist. Now. Please don't misunderstand. Things here are pretty advanced. I did not doubt the skills or abilities of my dentist.... I just get concerned when it comes to the language barrier.

Now, the background information is that I had my "consultation appointment", then I had my "cleaning appointment" then the appointment for today was scheduled.

I have receding gums. The dentist suggested putting bonding on them. Hmmmm. Never heard of this.... 'What is it? Like sort of painting on the tooth... the bonding?' These are the types of questions I had asked... 'yes, easy, like painting' were the general replies I got... Sounds easy enough. I think I can handle that. I needed to check b/c I have horrible anxiety when it comes to going to the dentist....

So fast forward to today. My appointment, at the crack of dawn.

7:30AM. I go in.

I have a few more questions...

"Can the bonding stain? I drink coffee."

"Yes."

"How long does it last?"

"About two years"

"Then what?"

"Then we scrape off and reapply"

"...Scrape off... doesn't that hurt?..."

"Yes. We use novacaine. Like today."

"I'm sorry? Today?"

"Yes."

"I have four spots.... so.... four novacaine????"

"No, Three spots. But, Yes. Three novacaine."

Do I need to go further? Let's just say there was lots of stuff going on in my mouth, lots of noise, and scraping, and apparently PAIN if I didn't have the novacaine.... The dentist and her assistant were very busy working on things in my mouth for a solid 50 minutes.

All in all it went OK. Even if I was shaking from my shoulders to my toes the entire time...trying not to cry as I squeezed the special "squishy football toy" they gave me....Even if at one point I had some sort of high pitched, drill sounding, tool of some sort in my mouth ALONG WITH the water sprayer thing and the suction and at least four or five fingers....

Afterwards I could barely talk. (COMPELTELY numb up to my nose) And? I was drooling.

It was actually pretty traumatic for me...

After my appointment, I had a nice, long talk w/E ... she feels very much like I do when it comes to the dentist.... we know that a lot of this stems from everything our Mom went through... so this stuff... really stinks..... I don't think about what my Mom went through on a daily basis, so going to the dentist brings it all back up for me... Even things like being numb, or having trouble speaking... it all reminds me... it all comes flooding back....

I had a great talk w/E though, and felt better as our conversation wrapped up. My anxiety had subsided..... and three hours later my novacaine wore off.....

I went out into Itaewon with M JUST in time to have another fabulous lunch.... and another fabulous afternoon.... :) (Yes, as soon as my mouth was in working condition I jammed some food in there). :)

xo
K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously K, you made me gag while I was reading that. I hope everything is better now!
~Cat

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...