Today I met my friend K for lunch. I took the bus. I wasn't worried about it b/c it's actually the same bus that we take to church on Sunday's.
We've been warned about taking the bus in S.K. b/c it's very confusing here. Not only is the bus system different than what we are used to, nothing is in English (like it is on the subway). Again though, not to worry, I'd been on this particular bus run before.
The trip to meet K was uneventful and I arrived in plenty of time. Actually, I was 10 minutes early.
We had a great (Chinese) lunch. We talked for about 2 hours.... then I headed home.
I saw the blue bus coming (there are a few different colors for the bus lines.... and many different numbers/letters)...
As soon as the bus stopped, I hopped on, swiped my card and took a seat.
This bus was bigger than what I was used to. That was a bit odd.
The bus also took a hard left, when I needed to go right.
It also kept going and went on over a bridge (not good).
I realized something.
I got on the wrong bus.
I wasn't sure if I should get off at the next stop (we had actually gone quite a distance in a short time) or if I should stay on and hope that this bus would eventually end up where it picked me up.
Come to think of it, I have no idea how the bus lines run.
I decided to get off the bus. I had no idea where I was, or even if I could walk back to where I started b/c I wasn't sure if the bridge that we had gone over had a pedestrian walkway...
I jumped off the bus and decided to walk in the general direction that we had come from....
Then I saw a subway entrance.
Things I'm happy about:
That I took the "transportation 101" class.
That I had my (English) subway map in my purse.

That I had my "T money card".
That I had plenty of won on me.
That I was wearing comfortable shoes.
That I had brought my umbrella (because of course the wind had picked up and the rain started).
That I had used the bathroom before leaving the restaurant.
That I have a calm husband who, when I called, said "I have no doubt that you are going to be just fine."
That I have a faithful God who kept me calm throughtout the experience.
Because really, I really, really, REALLY had no idea where I was.
50 minutes later I had made my way back to post. 15 minutes after that I had finished walking back home.
Not bad.
xo
K
3 comments:
NOT BAD at ALL! You did it! You are rock.. I love Ted by the way.. what a good guy... I had no doubts either - should you have called me in the middle of the night. hee hee
You are a rockstar. <3
Haha! Oh, for the two of us to have gotten lost together! We would have made it back... but a couple glasses of wine later and a little less determination. You're always so collected... I admire that. You know I would have cried.
~Cat
Post a Comment