Monday, August 11, 2008

Songtan

A few posts ago I mentioned that we'd be going down to Osan. It's actually Osan Air Force Base. The little town just outside the gate is called Songtan. We went there on Saturday.

Our new and fast friends F and R hosted the day. F has been stationed here before and knows his way around very well. More recently R and F have gone down there together, and know the area and all the "must sees".

The base itself is really nice with lots of new structures. We actually ate at Chili's if you can believe that... Now, can you say it with me? "It wasn't quite right".... :) But. It was a Chili's and it was good to eat in a familiar place. I got a very, very, very, VERY well done (ie HARD) burger. But, it was a burger, and I haven't had one in a while, so that was fun. :)

Songtan is a very cool place. It's sort of like Itaewon. There is more of some stuff, less of other stuff, better prices on some stuff.... etc... There are lots of winding roads and alleyways that make for a really cool, interesting day of shopping.

I am learning the art of shopping for "bags". R is a pro and has pointed out important facts about zippers, labels and linings that I was not aware of before. All important stuff so that I don't get ripped off.

F is an incredible driver and has mastered the art of weaving in and out of cars in this crazy, local traffic.

T ordered a NY Yankees (Lou Gehrig) shirt, custom made, for himself. That was a pretty cool thing. (Lou Gehrig was T's Dad's favorite player).

We plan to go back not this weekend, but, the next, and I'm already looking forward to it.

I just can't get enough of the culture here.... there is just so much to see.

Sunday was a great day as well.

We went into Itaewon and took the bus (our first time) to church. We had plenty of time to spare so we decided to go someplace for a cold drink. (P.S. We are in the middle of a heat wave. The rain has ceased to exist, and the humidity is deadly). We went into a cute little cafe... They claimed to be "French" yet, everything was in English (first) and Korean (second). We got a "coffee ice flake" and oh my goodness was it delicious!!!!!! We started chatting with the couple beside us. They are a bit older than us, Korean, and they are both professors here. We exchanged information and decided that we must meet again some Sunday, either at this particular cafe, or somewhere else, so we can all get to know each other more. They are a lovely, lovely couple. I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

Church was great. The sermon was perfectly timed and seemingly meant, just for us.
I made plans to meet w/K this week to talk about when/where I can volunteer. I'm looking forward to it for many reasons... getting to know her and S, getting more involved in church and S.K. in general, keeping busy so that I don't become consumed with thoughts about the adoption. I realize that I am most "patient" when I am preoccupied. (So maybe that's not patience at all).....

Today was a day of catching up and trying to get things accomplished. I've got a sort of busy week ahead with different plans for different days.... Stay tuned....
xo
K.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Oh, I don't know.

My days are pretty well occupied and I'm still thoroughly impatient.

So you win. :)

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...