Today I went to a Korean food class w/my friend M. The class wasn't a cooking class, it was a class on traditional Korean foods, table manners and etiquette. We learned some pretty interesting facts. For example, it is a bad thing to stick chopsticks into your rice and leave them there, standing up. To do that symbolizes that the food is reserved for the dead (who knew?).
We tried some different things... some of which I will never (ever) eat again, and some other things that were pretty tasty.
I'm learning a ton of stuff each time I go to one of the many classes offered here, I'm also meeting more people. I met three really nice gals today.
I don't think I mentioned that I hopped into a Korean language class on Tuesday night. My friend R is going to it, and she asked me to join her. I missed the first two weeks of this ten week course so I'm thinking I may be too behind to catch up and do well. I was thinking (during the class) I'm way too behind, I'll just start fresh the next time they offer the course, I don't think I'm going to keep coming to this one... Until the instructor told us that we would be learning to make bulgogi and kolbi on the 21st!!!! So, what I decided was MAYBE I'll keep going with this class, and STILL take it again the next time it's offered.... then maybe it'll be easier for me to learn b/c it'll be a refresher course. I am psyched to learn how to make bulgogi (it's a marinated beef dish). I guess it just takes the mention of food to inspire me. :)
M and I went into Itaewon after our food class. We learned a lot about Red Ginseng. If you are a ginseng "user" you want to get RED Ginseng. If it doesn't actually say "Red" on the box or container, then chances are it's white, and that is not as beneficial for you. Also, the older, the better (and more expensive). I'm easing into this whole ginseng thing by starting with ginseng "crunch" candy. :) It's very tasty. Hey, it's better than M&M's, and I made sure that it was RED Ginseng. :)
Next week I'm going to the "transportation 101" class and we are going to learn how to use the subway system here.
I tell you what? If any of you guys come to visit me here, you'll have quite the host! I'll be cooking, and showing you around via public transportation... and who knows? I may even be able to say more than "hello" and "thank you"! :)
I'm signing off with a great verse I came across this morning:
Pslams 94:18-19
"When I said, "my foot is slipping," your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul."
Isn't that a great verse?
xo
K.
2 comments:
The classes? Language AND cooking? Phenomenal!
I wonder if they have fried green tomato and slow-speak classes here ...
I LOVE bulgogi! Send me the recipe if it doesn't seem to difficult?
Post a Comment