T and I said our farewells last night at midnight.
Throughout the day yesterday, I could feel little prickles of anxiety - then waves of peace. I could feel people praying for us and I am so thankful for that.
During our countdown to this (year long) deployment I kept trying to think of clever ways to fool myself into making it feel shorter than it was.
This is our fifth deployment. Each of the others were seven months long each.
T and I only DATED eight months before marrying .... so a YEAR apart? Good grief.... HOW to make this seem quick?
What could I count? (like count this many of some THING and then it's over - the year is up)
I could count periods (I'm just sayin')
calls with our birth mother (a recent switch to every OTHER month contact)
monthly trips to Fayetteville
12 months
pay days
dentist appointments
hair colorings.....
Air filter changes
... Just a handful of each of those things and it's OVER!
Things I WON'T count
sweet n lows packets used
trash days
weekends
bed time routine
school days
car gas fill ups
days
Nothing seemed to really click with me .... None of my little mind tricks were working.
I just couldn't wrap my mind around a year. I can't.
I won't.
So. I decided what I CAN do.
I can get through a day.
I can do a day.
So. I'll do today, and (like we're TOLD to do) when tomorrow comes, I'll worry about tomorrow.
Last night went well. It really did. T did bath with the kids.... We had a nice family dinner, a normal (for the kids) bedtime..... Then T and I went to our usual place on the couch and hung out.
There were tears. Of course there were.
There was also strength,
and resolve.
We can do this.
So far today is going great. My LIFE SAVING NANNY - WHO I LOVE ALREADY - E came to the house, bright and early, with a potted plant and card in hand.... and wore the kids out from 8-12. I feel so blessed to have E with us in this journey.... She is already making this easier and she certainly brings joy into this challenging journey.
So today I'll count....
My blessings.
xo
K.
3 comments:
Kristin, This is Lori's mom (don't know if you remember me) and I just wanted to tell you that I know what your family is going through. While I've never gone through it as an adult, my dad was in the Navy. Right before he was due to retire they extended his tour of duty because of Vietnam. He was gone for 2 years while my mom, sister and I stayed behind. We saw him twice for 2 weeks each during that time. I think that you will at least be able to email and skype, correct? If so, that should help. I was only 8, but I can remember how much I missed my daddy. The only correspondence we had was snail mail and an occasional phone call. I will be praying for you. Remember, if God brings you to it....He will get you through it. Tell T thank you from us.
If anyone can do this, Kristin, it's you and Ted. I feel for you - so, so much. And I'm here for you. xo
Kristen, you were talking about different ways to mark off the time that you are apart. I am taking part in something called the 52 Week Project. A group of us on Facebook take pictures and we have a different theme each week. I was just posting this weeks picture and realized that it's the 10th picture we have taken this year already. I didn't know if you would be interested in joining us. If you are....ask Lori to give you my email address and I will give you all of the details. It's not hard. In fact it is alot of fun. The kids could even be involved in helping you figure out what to take a picture of. I've enjoyed it so much that I find myself getting excited for Friday so that we will get a new theme. The weeks have flown by too. Again, thinking of you and praying for you.
Post a Comment