Tuesday, June 17, 2008

the story of the silver

There are so many times in life that we really wonder if we are on the correct path, doing the right thing, if God is still in control, has He forgotten about me, if we will receive what is "meant for us"..... It's at times like this when I remember the story of the silver.

For this story a little background information is required. I lost my Mom about twelve years ago. Her death was not a shock, she fought cancer for two years. She tried to prepare herself, we tried to prepare ourselves... One of the things my Mom did was label things that she wanted to make sure got to certain people after she was gone. So she'd tear tiny pieces of masking tape off the roll, stick it to the bottom of an item, and put the first initial of the name of the person she wanted the item to go to on the little piece of tape. 

Fast forward to a wedding shower held for T and me.... 

My Sister E couldn't be there in person, so she sent her wrapped presents along w/her friend W. W had a video camera to record the shower and the gift giving. I opened the present my Sister had sent, with so much love, across the miles... The instant I opened it, I recognized the box as my Mom's.... I looked at my Sister R and said "This is Mom's silver"... "No it isn't" she replied, "T has Mom's silver". (T is our Brother).... Well, sure enough, I opened the box, looked at it's contents, and it was, absolutely, my Mom's silver. I wish I had the letter that E wrote to me RIGHT HERE, but, I keep it safely IN THE BOX with the silver, and the silver is now stored at N's house because of our move.... So, I will tell you, in my own words, what the letter said... E wrote that she had recently visited our Brother. Our Dad had given him our Mom's silver. Our Brother and his wife had received silver as a wedding gift, so he gave our Mom's silver to E. E was so happy.... as she drove home though, she felt, somehow, in her heart, that the silver really "belonged" to me... this was a hard realization because the silver is such a wonderful reminder of our Mom..a piece of our history, her history..... E set to polishing the silver, the box, and the little brass fixtures on the side...and in the letter she wrote "Imagine my joy when I turned the box upside down, turn the box upside down".... So, I did. And on the bottom of the box was a tiny piece of worn out masking tape. Written on it, in my Mom's handwriting was a very small "K".  

My Dad had given the silver to my Brother, who gave it to my Sister, who gave it to me.... From the beginning, my Mom had intended it for me.  It was intended for me. 

You see?

My point is. Whatever is meant for you will be yours..... Just Pray, hope and trust. 
xo
K

4 comments:

Richele said...

Love this story - and the message it holds! So glad you documented it ...

Marguerite said...

Ok now I'm bawling at work. ;-) I have chills just like the first time I heard that story. Love you!

Karyn said...

I love this story, have loved it from the first time you told it to me, and think on it often.

What a gift...in a very non-material way...

Anonymous said...

I never knew this story about the silver. I'm sitting in tears. I can see your Mom pulling apart the masking tape and putting her children's initials on each piece. She was so sweet. I miss her too.
Love
Auntie Jeannie

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...