Saturday, June 19, 2010

an ode to m

One of the most difficult things military spouses face (OTHER than the obvious and deployments) is saying farewell to friends.....

Two years ago I met M. We met in the parking lot of our housing area. I was walking to the dumpster (I actually posted about this).... and I said "Hihiyahdoin?!" M's husband R immediately knew I was from New England and told M to introduce herself. (Turns out we grew up about 40 minutes away from each other).

Our friendship was immediate and it lasted.

Usually wherever one of us was, the other was either right there, or near by....

We "get" each other.

M has made me a better person. A stronger person.

Our friendship has been overflowing with laughter, adventure and wonderful times that we will never forget.

But.

It's been more than that......

When I first let our adoption facilitator know that we were interested in the "sibling group of three" it was M and KT that I told immediately..... I sent the email to the facilitator, then ran out to the parking lot, and the three of us went out to lunch.

They waited for word with me.

They knew when we got the call.

It was M that set up our welcome home BBQ and who arranged stocking our house with everything two parents could possibly need to get their family up and running.

M came to our house a few times a day during those first critical months when I had NO clue what I was doing.

She helped me with baths and dinner.

She helped when I literally, couldn't move, I was so overwhelmed.

M helped me to understand that I didn't need to change who I am to be a mother. To mother these children.... That I can be the mother that I AM and do a great job.

She has helped me to be confident in who I am and in the choices I make.

M has changed me for the better.

And I love her.

I know I will see her again, and I know that she is already changing more lives, for the better, in her new home.

God Speed to you my forever friend <3

xo
K.

2 comments:

Kelly Elizabeth said...

She sounds AWESOME!! Thank you M - whoever you are!! Thank you for being such a good friend to my (our) friend.... :)

Unknown said...

I finally had a chance to sit and really read it. I will miss you a lot, but we will always be close. You have certainly touched my life and I thank you for letting us share this most emotional journey with all of you. I never met anyone with such an amazing faith and that is what is going to get you through all the turmoil.

Love ya,
M

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...