Sunday, October 19, 2008

marinade recipe

I thought I'd post the recipe for the marinade I made last week in class, in case any of you are interested.... I just emailed it to N, and thought, huh.... maybe other folks would like to try it too.....

Marinade used for short ribs and bulgogi, but can be used on any meat.

This recipe is good for about 1-2 pounds.... we didn't really measure b/c the teacher wanted us to season "to taste" - so these measurements are not exact.

Chinese green onion (these look like our scallions - on steroids. So, if you can't find the Asian kind, my guess is scallions would be fine). Cut them in 1" chunks, you'll need a good two handfulls of these.

- Seasame Oil 1 tsp

- Corn Syrup 1 tbl

- Soy Sauce 3 1/2 tbl.

- Roasted Seasame Seeds (sprinkle in)

- Garlic powder or fresh garlic to taste

- Black pepper to taste

- Pineapple juice 1 1/2 tbl (can use apple, kiwi, "Korean pear"... but, he said DON'T use orange juice as a substitute).

- "Cooking Wine Style" 1 tbl. --- now, this is the only ingredient that is tricky. That is actually what the bottle here said for it's English translation... if there is a Korean market near you, then super. :) If not, he said it could be substitued w/any of the following: whiskey, vineager, wine, beer, or any other alcohol... To me, those sound very different... however, maybe it makes sense to you... I did read a recipe that called for rice wine.... so that could also be a substitute.



Mix all (with your choice of meat of course), and put in a container to marinade. Sprinkle the onions all over the top... can also put a bit more juice and pepper over the top before covering. Don't freeze this, but, can be in the fridge a while. I made this on Thursday night, and we didn't eat it until Saturday, and then the rest we cooked up on Sunday. So, I can say for sure that two to three days of marinating is really good.

Saturday night we cooked the meat right in a pan on the stove, Sunday night I lined a cookie sheet with foil and cooked it in the oven. Grilling is probably the best, but, we don't have our grill here....

If you want to go full Korean w/this - make some sticky rice, and bean paste (may find in the International aisle, you may even know how to make it!), get some bean sprouts, and other fillings, and some lettuce leaves... Take your lettuce leaf and put the meat, bean paste, rice, and fillings in it, roll it up and stick it in your mouth! :)

It would also be delicious w/ potatoes and a salad. :)


xo
K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I'm making chicken bulgogi this week! I'll let you know when I post it, because of course, I can only use what's available in the good ol US of A.
~Cat
PS: Can't find sticky rice ANYwhere in the friggin Midwest!

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...