Saturday, June 4, 2011

thirteen weeks

Today was J's last track meet of the season. The kids were all (4 or 5 teams) allowed to run in any and all events that they wanted to. J did GREAT getting 2nd in the 400m, 2nd in the 100m, 3rd in the 50m, and 6th in the 4/100 relay. OK. The 6th place? J SMOKED his leg of the race. His little legs were just a going and a going. He was matched up with runners that ..... did not ..... quite ..... have ..... his ability. I'm just sayin'.

We spent the afternoon at the base theatre and saw "Rio." Oh my goodness. I thought it was GREAT!

At base/post theaters around the world, before the movie, the National Anthem is played. The audience stands, as it is played. Service members stand at attention, while their wives and children stand, hand over their heart.

This afternoon, I looked down at the twins (I couldn't see J because we had gone with friends and J was at the other end of the row from me) and watched, proudly, as they stood, BOTH hands on their chest, over their heart.

I thought about this and thought..... You know..... my kids aren't the best kids on the planet as far as behavior. But. That moment. Right then. That was pretty cool. Our children, at their young ages, already know that freedom isn't free. That there is a sacrifice. THEY are making a sacrifice by missing their Daddy. Sometimes there is a war before there is peace. Sometimes there is a war before there is a freedom. (Actually I'm pretty sure that every freedom we have today, was fought for in one way or another).

There is always a sacrifice.

And.

There is a proud feeling when it comes to our Nation.

Proud Mommy tonight.
xo
K.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes there is a war before there is peace. Sometimes there is a war before there is a freedom."
Quoting you on this when I have to deal with you know who this summer.
Hope you don't mind :)

-Ang

J. said...

The very reason why America is special: we were never given anything- we didn't ask permission, we fought for it, and we'll continue to fight for freedom where ever it does not already exist.

Our country was built with sweat, blood and sacrifice. Not many other countries can say that.

My life ... to date said...

When is your book coming out? You are a true wordsmith.

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...