Wednesday, June 8, 2011

honesty

How many Moms out there go to bed feeling like a success each night?

Are there more like me out there?

The kind of Moms that most often go to bed feeling like they are failing miserably?

I spent the morning (after school drop off) crying in the car on the way to my errands,

then, crying in the car on the way home from my errands.

I know kids in general are hard. I know Motherhood is hard. I will add that, raising "older" adopted children comes with it's own set of unique challenges.

And on days like today..... I end up struggling. Big time. Wondering what on earth.....

Have I done?

Am I doing?

Should I do?

As I pulled into my street ..... still questioning so many things.... an ad came on the radio....

about an orphanage

about adoptions

about support for adoptive families

about how when you adopt "special needs" children or "at risk" children (ours fall into that category) .....

how you have not gone INTO the mission field....

rather

you have brought the mission field, into your home.

I chuckled to myself thinking, OK God.

You're still there.

T called about two hours later.

I feel my smile returning.

xo
K.

4 comments:

My life ... to date said...

Hey kid, I have to tell you even with three grown children I still cry. We are our own worst critics. You have found the secret though. Good friends who are honest about their lives. A lot of people like to pretend their lives are perfect, they are the ones to pity. Those of us who know we screw up yet get up and try again everyday are the healthy, normal ones. We're not all in the same boat but we are all in the same ocean, calm days, stormy days and days like your wedding when all is right and
god is surely smiling down on us.

Anonymous said...

Mom once compared raising C to going into war with an ill equipped army but still fighting everyday. You still have to keep fighting, thats what Mom's do.

Karyn said...

....Do ANY mothers go to bed at night feeling like a raving success? I have cried my eyes out at drop off / pickup / lunch time / bedtime / pick a time, more times than I can tell you. Wait. I don't have to tell you. YOU KNOW. And you think I'm a decent mother. So...why are you so hard on yourself exactly? You're amazing. You're doing just fine. xxxxx

surfjams said...

What Karyn said...

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...