Friday, February 27, 2009

flag draped coffins. my opinion, as a military wife

"We should not presume to make the decision for the families — we should actually let them make it," Gates said at a Pentagon news conference.

"We’ve seen so many families go through so much," added Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He said the goal is to meet family needs in the most dignified way possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This ban was put in place in 1991... So, it's been in place through the administrations of Bush senior, Clinton and GW Bush. Truthfully, I never really even knew it exsisted until I heard the buzz that Bush was trying to hide the true cost of the war. I see two sides of a coin regarding this. I see the side of citizens worried that the government might be trying to hide something, I also see the side of citizens using it for their "cause", whatever that might be...

What I do not see is the only side here. These coffins - hold lives lost. They hold husbands and wives, sons and daughters, fathers and mothers.

I don't think there SHOULD be a ban. I don't think there SHOULD NOT be a ban. I think that if my husband were to die in the line of duty, people better back. right. off. I may not want photographs being taken. I may not want a mike in my face asking me how I feel and if I blame anyone for the loss of my husband. I certainly would not want anyone's opinion on the war.

I have stopped watching the news while T is deployed. I have heard too many stories of people finding out that their spouse was KIA because they saw it on the news. Oh, no, right, they don't say names.... They are waiting until notifications have been made. Except that we know where our spouses are assigned, we know what units they are in, we know if they are traveling that day.... So, when the news rushes to be the first to report and talks about a helicopter that went down or an IED that went off... We are actually wondering if it was our spouse who's name they are not saying.

I had a friend who knew her husband had died TEN DAYS before she was notified b/c she saw it on the news.

Then.

He didn't call.

So.

She knew.

But, she had to wait to actually be notified by the military. Then she accepted the offer from the Patriot Riders to escort her husband and her family to the service. This, to hopefully keep protestors away from the funeral.

Protestors. Away from the funeral.

T wears a bracelet honoring one of his soldiers who lost his life in Afghanistan. This young man's funeral was in California. The procession was blocked as they went to enter the cemetery. It was blocked by anti-war protestors. The only reason they made it through was b/c they too, were also escorted by the Patriot Riders.

Protestors. AT a funeral.

Nobody should be capitalizing on the sacrifice of these soldliers for their own political agenda. Whether someone is in support of the war, or against it.

The thing is - if T ever lost his life while he was on active duty - nobody has a "right" to be a part of his loss. He is my husband. He wouldn't be just a "flag draped coffin"...

I think both sides are loosing sight of this. They can claim to be giving the families privacy saying that's why they don't want the coffins shown. They can claim to be wanting to honor the soldier by spreading the photographs all over the media. The problem? It's not for "them" to decide.

Just like any other loss of a loved one. The general public has no say. The government has no say. The families have the say.

To discuss all of this so GENERALLY defeats "the purpose" both sides are claiming to have.

xo
K.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you not writing professionally??????

K and T said...

Um, who are you anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I've been so irked by this I can hardly see straight. I totally agree... if G was to be KIA, people better back the f' off before I MAKE them back off. The last thing I want is a picture of the love of my life lying lifeless in a flag draped coffin. What good does that do? Does that bring fulfillment to some strangers life? Unbelievable.

~Cat

Anonymous said...

You're amazing.....I love your passion....your writing is a gift.

I took a flight home once, and when we landed, the pilot, asked for everyone to remain seated and silent as they unloaded a flag draped coffin. Everyone was very respectful, and the moment was very heartfelt. I think the gravity hit home more for some than others, but I think that as a society, something quells inside when you see a coffin especially a flag draped one. That being said, I don't think it's one's "right" to see or the governments responsibility to make seen a flag draped coffin. It's a very difficult and private time for the family and that above all should be respected.

As for the protesters, Chris has experienced them too at funerals. They're part of a Christian sect that believes if a soldier dies in combat, they deserve it because they support a government that supports homosexual rights. (I saw a bumper sticker the other day, "I love Christ but I don't love all Christians. The sticker made me think of them.) Crazy and twisted, I know, and I wish with all my heart that they could be stopped. GOD BLESS THE PATRIOT RIDERS! If I won the lottery, I'd pay for their gas, lodging, lost wages, etc...they're great Americans!

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...