Monday, January 12, 2009

the truth about squat toilets

You're in for a real treat! Today's post is about TOILETS!!! WooHOO!!!

As we were letting folks at home know that we were heading over here for the next two years, I heard many (horror) stories about the public bathrooms in Korea...

Stories from standing over a hole in the ground to "go potty" to standing over some contraption called a "squatter".

So, let's get to the bottom of this. (ha ha get it??? bottom?!?!) ah, um... anyway....

The bathrooms aren't all that bad really. Also? Public bathrooms are everywhere. So, if you've really gotta go... you're usually going to be in luck. It's always handy to have a little pack of tissues on you, as well as some hand sanitizer.

That being said... The bathrooms are usually fairly clean. And? They are not as scary as I thought they'd be.

The concept of a squat toilet is a good one when you think about it. My Mom would have loved it. You don't have to touch A THING!! You open the door to your individual stall and, right there, built into the floor, is this:



Stand over this sucker, squat, and GO. Flush it with your foot, and you're all set.

I wasn't sure what this thing was the first time I saw it:



My question is..... Is it cleaner/safer to use this "community" bar soap... or should one just hurry on out of there?

"Western toilets" are becoming more and more common here in the land of not quite right. If you're REALLY lucky, you may happen upon one of these fancy toilets....



See all the controls on the left side? Apparently these toilets can do everything except give you a manicure. They are heated too... I know, I know.. most of you are like: "How do you know it's WARM???? Did you actually SIT on it?!?! Didn't your Mother ever tell you not to sit on public toilet seats?!?!?!" Yes. She did. And. Yes. I know because I actually sat on it.

To be honest. A warm toilet seat can feel very nice on a really cold day.

:)
xo
K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you come across one of those toilet seats with the plastic wrap that automatically moves for the next person?

I remember my first time in one of these stalls. I had no idea what to do. No one had "warned" me. I walked into the restroom at a mall in Japan and walked out and told Andy we had to go...NOW! hahahaha Looking back it was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

Oh my lanta! You crack me up K!! You make it easier and easier every day to think of living in SK.

Love you!

~Cat

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...