Growing up we spent Summers on Cape Cod. We ended up moving to the Cape to live year round when I was 12. We always Summered in the same spot though. My Grandmother's cottage. My Grandmother put the cottage in my Parent's name but, it really was hers. In my heart anyway.
I refer to those Summers now as kind of like "Lord of the Flies" because, while it wasn't dangerous, we were all allowed to just - run - free.
Paths connected the cottages that were owned by my Mom's Sisters ..... and the cottages, paths, roadways, woods, and pond were filled with kids. All. Summer. Long.
I spent all Summer barefoot. Running. Running along the paths to the other cottages, running through the woods playing "the flashlight game" (hide and seek - at night), running up the hill to lay in the sun (which is why I now see the dermatologist regularly), running into the water..... Running.
There is an imprint on me because of these Summers. My feet are tough and I can see really well in the dark. There weren't always enough flashlights to go around. Not only am I the youngest in my family. I'm the youngest of all the first Cousins. You do the math. No way was I getting a flashlight.
I loved these paths. I see them clearly in my mind. Summers have changed over the past 20 years or so, and while there are still kids going down there, it's not the same. It may never be. My Mom and her two Sisters would pack up on the last day of school and drive down, and if my (crappy) memory serves me well, it'd be just a couple of days before school started that we'd pack back up and go home. Now people go, with kids in tow, for a week or two..... life has gotten busy, circumstances have changed. It's different.
Paths have gotten overgrown.
I'd bet though...... if I got one full Summer there...... I could clear those pathways once again..... running through them with bare feet. I wouldn't need any type of sickle or garden tool. I would just need to run them..... repeatedly. Take those paths - daily. Over and over again.
Taking this image I see clearly our minds..... our neuropathways..... pathways that were never formed (in my kids) or pathways that have gotten overgrown (in my brain). Pathways that are TOO clear and too well worn that should not even exist.... Pathways of impatience and bitterness....Pathways that should be there and are not.... trust and attachment, love and peace.
I wonder.... no. No I don't wonder, that's a lie. I know that if I wanted better pathways, that I could have them. Like a well worn path on Cape Cod in the Summer, I know if I practice making a pathway of patience, and a pathway of forgiveness, someday that pathway will be so clear I'd be able to walk it in the darkest of nights.
Initially it may not be very comfortable. I may get hurt, or bump in to a tree or two. But at some point..... I'd be able to run in that path, just like I did as a kid in the Summer...... freely, happily, without a thought..... without stumbling or straying off into the wrong direction. Without fear.
Free.
6 comments:
I remember our summers so well even though you were so much younger. I remember your brother Tom would let us dress him up in anything that struck our fancy. I remember your dad always showing up with some little gift for you. The dolls in the Leggs eggs were my favorite. The pathways are overgrown now. Every year on my week at the cottage I try to take a whack at them but the next year they're gone again. I can't even find the original path to your cottage anymore. It makes me sad.....
This made me tear up. Your description of those summers is beautiful and incredible and I wish that and more for my kids.
I remember running running running away from my younger cousins your sister and I were mermaids most of the time you are invisible to us or at least we thought you were until we heard your mother say take your sister with you take your brother with you running running running you were behind us long summer days of whatever we wanted to do might be restaurant might be trucks it was always swimming boating and Squid dances when I landed I would wear the same dress my mother would buy us a matching set for her birthday it all seems to be a glorious dream
I remember that cottage so well and have found memories of spending time with you there.
I have one vivid memory of your mom bathing in the pond, which I thought was so fun, and so we did too.
Loved running the pathways between the family homes and spending endless hours in the water, such wonderful memories.
I pray that those pathways are easier to make as time goes on. Hugs!!
I love this!!! I can't believe I missed it on FB. So beautifully written. The overgrown pathways make me sad too.
The cottage in Peru! (Do you remmeber that?)
This is beautiful, Krissy. xxx
Post a Comment