Today started like any other day. Well, any other day since moving here and starting to walk in the mornings again.
I was walking towards the golf course across the street, said "good morning" to a woman walking her dog as I passed them by, when suddenly I felt a pain in my back. I stopped short.
"I think..... I think your dog just bit me" I stuttered to the woman as I turned around.
First let me tell you that I am the worst eye witness ever. I freeze. I get blurry. I can't think straight.
I was stunned. And sore.
Ask me for a description. Go ahead and ask me. I can tell you her hair color (dark, OK, so that's not an actual "color" is it?) and the shirt she was wearing (kind of. It said "Harley Davidson" but, I don't know what color it was).
The woman said (with what I now realize was a total LACK of surprise) "I'm sorry, he's out of sorts today"..... I couldn't think of anything else to say other than asking her, as I lifted the back of my shirt "Did he break my skin?"... "No" she told me. It looked OK. She said something, I don't remember what, I wasn't listening because I was in such shock. My back really hurt. A lot. "Are you sure? Are you sure my skin isn't broken?" I asked her again. "No, it's not" she told me.
That was it. I didn't ask for information. I didn't "get a good look" at the dog. (I got "A look" but, not a great look). Want that description? OK. Um. Black. Fluffy-Ish. 35 pounds. No. 50 pounds? 50 pounds I think. A midsize dog. (Based on my 120 pound puppy as a reference point).
I went for my walk. I was upset the whole time. I called my husband, just to tell him what happened. And to cry. Because I needed to really cry.
I found myself on guard for the whole walk. For the rest of the day really. When my husband got home for the day, I cried again. I felt so silly. I was fine. I wasn't hurt (although it does hurt, I didn't really "get hurt"). What was my problem?
I think it's this...... I had no idea it was coming. I did nothing to provoke the "attack". It took me off guard. It surprised me. It scared the every living idontknowwhat out of me.
Much later in the day I thought.
"How the heck do my kids feel every single day of their lives?"
They were taken off guard, surprised, scared..... they didn't provoke a thing.
I was shaken today. Rattled. In an instant I could totally understand why people bitten by a dog as a child, fear them as an adult.
Imagine being abused. Over and over again. BY YOUR PARENT(s).
How could you NOT be "rattled" for the rest of your life?
So while I am definitely feeling a bit of "woe is me" tonight...... I am definitely thinking "my poor kids" as well.
*** it should be noted that this knowledge doesn't always give me extra patience with my kids (keeping it real).
**** it should also be noted that the gate guard recognized the woman and her stupid biting dog because the dog lunged at him earlier. Also, I filed a police report. My thought was, if this stupid biting dog bites a child and it's reported, I definitely want it to be the dog's SECOND offense, not his first. Sorry stupid biting dog, but, I don't like you anymore.
***** it should also (ALSO?) be noted that my 120 lb puppy wasn't with me..... but, she might start coming on my long walks, like it or not.
xo
K.
No comments:
Post a Comment