Tuesday, September 13, 2016

why don't we wail?

I got home from Massachusetts on Sunday.

I went to the grocery store today, and I had to force myself. I did it though, and maybe that's the only time I will go out for the week. I think that I will just stay safely holed up behind the walls of my home.

I told my husband today that I don't want to see anybody. I can't talk about what is happening because I cannot do it without crying and when people see somebody cry they want to hug them because they want to make them feel better but...

I do not want to feel better.

I want to grieve and cry and wail and scream.

I want to wallow.

I want to cry for the pain that Annmarie has and is and still could experience. I want to cry for Laura because she is going to lose the most important person in her life. I want to cry because I am so thankful that there is a heaven and that Annmarie will be running - freely running - joyfully running - singing and jumping there......not long from now.

I want to heave and lose my breath and cry until I fall asleep. I want to feel every bit of this sadness because I have to. That is the only way I know how to get through it. I don't want to ..... miss it.

Why do we try to stop crying? Why do we try to feel better?

Didn't people in the Bible scream and tear their clothes? That seems right to me. Wasn't there a mourning period where the world stopped for people who had lost someone?

We should do that.

The world should stop.

When my Mother went through her cancer, the cancer that took her life, my Dad "needed" me to "be strong" ..... he hated to see me cry, and I understand that, but, what I found myself doing instead was taking a breath to stop the tears from coming. Since then, that is what I have done. Until last week, when I got off the phone with Laura, and something grabbed a hold of my heart and tore it in two. It came out of nowhere and I found myself unable to walk, grabbing on to a bookshelf, heaving. I made it back to the dinner table and sobbed. That kind of sob that has sound, that is loud, the kind where the tears won't stop and the tissues can't come quickly enough.

For now, that is where I want to stay.

Because this, deserves that.

Because I shouldn't try to feel better.

Because I want to cry.

xo
K.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

There is indeed a prescribed mourning period where people tear their clothing...Jews, anyway. I know of no such thing in Christianity and it's sad that such a pivotal and important piece of culture got lost during the conversion. Shiva is the period of mourning and lasts seven days (shiva meaning seven). Mirrors are covered, clothing is torn. Leather is not worn, and people sit in uncomfortable (unusually low, for example) seats, matching their physical discomfort to the emotional. For a year, one does not listen to music for pleasure. Grief is honored as a tangible thing with a prescribed course of observations...acute to start... lasting the year... and acknowledging the abject pain.

I can't say anything to help but I could at least give a little information...and let you know I'm here and I love you. Get the groceries delivered. Cocoon. It's ok to look after yourself; indeed, it's quite necessary. xxxx

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...