Saturday, September 28, 2013

so this is what it feels like

Today we are going to a surprise baby shower..... Even more of a surprise for this unsuspecting Mother to Be because she has not met anyone other than my friend who is hosting it...... She will come and see all these women, bearing gifts, and ready to be instant friends and supporters..... wonderful, wonderful ladies..... Who she has never, ever, met. (She has recently moved to Korea, a young Army wife, stationed way, over here..... her family? Way over there....)

Our daughter? Loves all things baby. All. Things. Baby.

She made a beautiful card for this Mommy to Be, this morning. Then? She wrapped it. With tissue paper and a ribbon. Then? She drew pictures all over the tissue paper.

The problem is, she was very disrespectful to THIS MOMMY.... all morning, and all afternoon.

I don't normally warn my kids..... I usually consequence and move on. They work better that way, and so do I.

I couldn't help myself. I HAD TO warn her that really, the only consequence today? Was missing the "baby party."

I don't usually give many chances. Again. NONE of us work well with those.... My kids don't do the "you're on thin ice thing" at - all.

Well..... we had a few "last straws".......

and finally.... I had to consequence.

My daughter was told she would not be going to the "baby party."

She yelled.

She cried.

Then? She asked for a hug. Which I gave. And? She actually hugged me. A real hug.

I gave her some stuffed animals to keep her company in her room (because it's not going to be an afternoon of play and toy galore instead, after all)....

And.

She thanked me.

My heart?

Is broken.

For me..... for so long ..... our kids have been so ...... over the top crazy (and that's being nice)..... that consequences for me always felt sooooooo deserved, and, our kids? Most often felt no remorse. That's what goes with our territory here......

I think our kids are starting to feel some remorse.....

Wow.

Ouch.

It hurts to follow through with a consequence when a child ACTUALLY feels ....... remorse...... When a child wants .... a hug.

My heart hurts.

(I suppose that's a good thing).

xo
K.

2 comments:

acceptance with joy said...

It is a good thing... but I know it still hurts. Been there. YES, most of the time my kids consequences are WELL DESERVED and I don't mind giving them... but when they lose something especially meaningful... ouchie!!

Capescrapper said...

Yes it is a good thing. You are doing the right thing by sticking to your consequences. I know it hurts. {{hugs!}} I think it is the hardest thing about being a parent.

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...