Monday, December 1, 2008

Jang Gil-san

If you have ever experienced AFN (Armed Forces Network) TV programming, you know how much it leaves to be desired. I'm sure that once upon a time, before digital cable, before satelites, before Tivo and Slingbox, AFN was wonderful. Sadly, the programming is dated and the clarity of the picture is horrible. When we bought our new TV, my boss decided he needed one too. His wife argued against it, saying that the only thing they would be gaining is a "bigger crappy picture".

Naturally, our only choice was to embrace local programming. These photos are from our favorite show, "Jang Gil-san". As near as we can tell, it is your basic Robin Hood/A-Team scenario. There is a bandit who is loved by the people, loathed by the aristocracy, they try to catch him, he escapes and adds to his street cred, blah, blah, blah.

During certain hours, it is aired without subtitles. Naturally we then feel compelled to gently mock our host nation's culture by doing our own voice overs. It cracks us up and I'm fairly sure that Rabbit is laughing [inside] as well.

Enjoy the photos. Be sure to read the subtitles and I encourage you to scroll down one photo at a time for the full effect.

-T






Welcome to our world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teeheehee! Too funny!

~Cat

Anonymous said...

We have AFN here too, but the German shows do not have subtitles, what is up with that? I do miss the regular commercials though, after seeing AFN commercials for almost 3 years, I think I've been totally brainwashed! :)

Angry Ballerina said...

Is this what I get to look forward to?

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...