Sunday, June 10, 2018

chances of rain

Earlier this week the chances of rain stopped me in my tracks. I wondered to myself if the "chances" given to my husband were applied to the chances of rain, if I'd be carrying an umbrella. Yeah. That's how analytical I can be. It's no wonder I'm always tired. My mind just doesn't. Ever. Stop. Running.

This weekend a Cub Scout campout was cancelled due to the high chance of rain. And again I found myself trying to match up numbers. To compare them.

And I prayed for the rain to come. Thinking that maybe the rain would settle my mind. That the rain, would give me peace, and hope.

The rain did not come until last night. It came in a violent, stormy, burst. And then it was over.

And I tried to analyze what the rain meant. Maybe it meant that life is stormy... that it's violent and unpredictable. That there is a "storm" and only after the storm can "the rain" come. And that the rain? Is actually a good thing.

And quite honestly - in all of that thinking - I confused even myself. (So if it didn't make sense to you, you are not alone).

This morning I looked at the weather. Yesterday the report for today was 90% chance of rain. Today it dropped down to 50%.

On my phone app.

My husband's phone said it's an 80% chance.

So here's where I'm at.

If it's going to rain, it's going to rain. And the numbers mean nothing.

We've got people who do this stuff for a living. They take all of these... factors... into consideration. Then they give us a number, so we can plan. Plan our future.

But, they don't make it rain, and they don't make the sun shine. God does that.

And God doesn't give us numbers and statistics and ... likelihoods so that we can plan. He would like us to just ... trust Him. To seek, follow, and pray. To be responsible. To walk with Him through the rain and through the sunshine.

xo
K.

No comments:

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...