Monday, June 29, 2015

love and stuff

Facebook is full of rainbows and confederate flag news stories right now..... Mixed in are stories of victories, tragedies, and depending on who you follow, encouragement, or venting with pleas to help if you've ever faced "this" with your kids and if so, what worked and what didn't, eat this, don't eat that, 5098367 things to do with your kids this Summer ........

I do not keep my political views or my religious beliefs a secret.

While I'm tempted to read the countless articles that are being posted right now, I haven't..... for a few reasons..... one, a lot of the articles are just more opinions, in the form of "news", the second? I'm over my head in my own "stuff".

Which is kind of an important point...... People who aren't joining in on the conversation are not without opinion, nor are they necessarily "trying to keep out of it"...... they might just be..... busy.

I was thinking about all this, this morning though...... (as I start my second cup of coffee because lately I just can't seem to get UN exhausted).......

While I believe there are so many issues in our country that need "this much" attention...... it's not really up to me. If I wanted it to be up to me, I suppose I would've chosen some sort of politically inclined career..... or maybe I'd be an activist of some sort. I'm neither.

I'm a Christian. A military spouse. A lover of my husband. A mother of three kids who are battling their pasts filled with abuse and neglect. A generally peaceful and happy person with strong opinions and a moral compass that guides her steps.

I also believe in love.

And whether I agree or don't agree or whether I'm marching on Capitol Hill or standing in my kitchen blogging, drinking a huge cup of coffee, that is mostly milk and sweet and low (and by the way can we give a shout out to Sweet 'N Low????? I love it...... and like Tab, it's all but forgotten these days)........ I still believe in love.

The two big stories in the news right now are about love. I'm not talking about agreement. I'm talking about motive. The motives aren't hate based. They are not malicious. We don't need to stand and scream and shout at one another. We all need to watch our hearts. ALL of us. (I'm talking to myself here as well).

I'm fairly certain that people who know me, know where I stand. And I DO believe that is important. AND. I'm not about to get into yet another debate about it all...... I'm also willing to bet that the people who know me, know that I love them, deeply. They also know that we agree on a ton, and we disagree on a lot......

But.

I love them and they love me.

I think my point is (because I often lose track of my point)....... Yes. Stand strong in your belief system. Of course! But. Think about how it's presented. Are we being kind and loving? Or angry and abrasive?

The other day I was going on and on about something and my husband jokingly asked "Why are you yelling at me?" THAT is what we need to pay attention to. Are we no longer able to have a loving conversation?

Or are we?

I believe we are.

xo
K.

No comments:

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...