Thursday, November 1, 2012

who are you

and who am I?

In my little snippets of time... which are really fragmented scatterings that if visible, would probably look like shards of glass..... I've been having little conversations with myself. (To be honest, some of those conversations were outloud, walking down the street. I am certain that I looked insane to cars driving by).

My kids.

Well We've definitely turned a corner with our precious girl friend. She has not raged in over a week. (insert long, exhausted, relieved, sigh here)

She will actually stop and listen to me now. Catch her breath. Rethink something. And?
Redo it.

Have prayers helped? Absolutely.

Reading? Yes, of course.

Talking and sharing information? Yup.

What I have tried to stay true to though - in all of this - is..... Who I am. I can't raise my kids according to a book on attachment disordered children. (Trust me, I tried it, and within seconds, failed). What I CAN do is listen attentively, and do my best, according to my personality.

Remembering that I am the Mom after all.

Somehow it's all working .... we are moving forward .... step by step. Literally taking one day at a time.

The election.

There I said it.

I think I've made one political statement - ever - in this blog.

I lost a friend this week. Not to death. But. To the election.

So. Who am I? Well, apparently I'm someone that sticks to my moral compass, even if it means that people walk away from me in the process.

What is strange to me is this..... after almost 25 years of friendship.... after standing up in my wedding..... that this person can walk away without any dialogue whatsoever.

It came down to - if you are voting for him - I don't want you in my life.

Alrighty then.

So my question is..... Who are you?

Have we lost ourselves, or found ourselves, in this mess of a world that we live in?

I'm trying like mad to hold on to myself in all of this.... and the parts of me that I lose? I say good riddance to, as they are replaced by pieces that are stronger, and more beneficial.... more right.... more good.

I am sad for my friend. Sad that she walked away from me, over a politician... It speaks so loudly to me..... so angrily to me....... it's unnecessary really.

So many of us want the same bottom line..... as this election closes in on us, pay attention to who you are. And? Do everything out of love. If that is not your heart, if that is not your motivation, then please, please, check yourself.

xo
K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am so glad that you are seeing progress. And I can't believe how contentious everybody is about this election. I have felt very uncomfortable sharing my leanings this time. Even on some of our ballot measures. It's all so heightened emotionally this time around. Hang in there.
Beth

Jenn said...

as always,I love you, K
stick to your moral compass, Darling. We absolutely do not all have to agree on everything (especially politics) but it is important stand by your values and to try to understand or at least acknowledge that we don't all believe the same things the same way and that is okay.
I am so sorry that you lost a life-friend, I know how much that can hurt.
Glad that in the face of this new emotional issue - things with your young beauty are improving.
I love you (just a reminder)

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...