Sunday, March 11, 2012

pride and fear

I'm fairly certain these two things are the biggest things in my life that get in the way of God working through me.

Like right now for example.

My oldest son has tried every, single, bit of me for the last week.

To the point of exhaustion.

I know that the only way for him to reciprocate love is to SEE love. Constantly.

Even when he is being horrible.

So then. Why do I sit here. In utter frustration "unable" to be a loving Mommy?

It's simple.

Pride and fear.

It's got to be.

As a human - excluding Christ - I am simply unable to overcome my hurt and to forgive. Continuously.

WITH Christ I AM able to do that.

So why don't I?

What am I afraid of?

I am called to do it.

Commanded even.

I am supposed to love him as much as I love myself.

(ouch).

I wish there was a "Christ pill" that I could pop during times like this.

I guess that would be The Word. Wouldn't it?

This morning on the way to church I was talking to my oldest son. Letting him know that I KNEW he was wondering if I was upset with him. I am I let him know. I listed the reasons why.

Silence.

A few minutes pass.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I just saw a pelican."


What do you do with that exactly?

Well, what IIIII did with that was drive quietly to church. Drop the kids at the kid's service, and lost myself in our sermon.

So here I sit.

And the best that I can seem to muster up at the moment is silence.... I don't want to be all loving and snuggly and happy......

I try to tell myself at least I'm not yelling.

I'm not being mean.

But I know who owns that voice.

Who they are.

They are pride and fear.

I need to lose these two.

xo
K.

2 comments:

Jenn Simpson-Gross said...

K,
I had an epiphany 2 Fridays ago (at a vespers service at church - of all the crazy places) that the heaviest burden I carry is my pride. It prevents me accepting - nevermind asking for - the help I need to be the best that I can be. All you can do is to let go and be totally in the moment. Remember, not only is tomorrow another day, but this moment is also a chance to wipe the slate clean and start anew. If you can't change him right now (there are miles to go to help him work through the trauma of his first 5 years)you can change the way you react/respond to him. Maybe next time you won't be so distracted by yesterday and you will see the pelican first.
I love you. You were called to parent the child I was called to build my career around. You have the much more difficult job. If you need to vent, question, cry at the unfairness or laugh at the insanity - please remember that I am here for you. Phone, text,fb or email.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you as you write through this - ALL of this.

I haven't thought of the fear aspect before, though I have spent some time considering pride as I am guilty of loving more easily, those who are more accepting of (my) love.

r

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...