Monday, January 6, 2014

do - si - do

I grew up square dancing every Wednesday night in the Summer on a pier in Wellfleet, on Cape Cod.

I know this dance move.

And.

Apparently my kids do as well.

I suppose I should be thankful that the kids are switching off with one another rather than all teaming up doing some kind of mosh pit.

If I could give unfiltered details, I would, but, I just can't. As open as I am on here.... there is a lot that I will never, ever get into. Let's just say that it has been a very frustrating time with our oldest. I have to cling to the words one of our therapists told me a few years back, and those words were "You cannot lose progress." If she had not said that to me, I would SWEAR that we have absolutely lost progress.

The last month (maybe more) has been very challenging, with lots of behaviors, from our oldest, that we have not seen in a long time. "They" say that it gets worse before it gets better, and maybe THIS? is that. It's got to be..... He has come SO FAR....... and maybe we are in some kind of resting period for now.....

One can hope.

Now.

That being said.....

Our daughter? Is moving forward at a very steady pace. She is trying so hard. Like. Really, really trying. And I know it is hard for her, and it's scary, and she keeps pushing forward.

Just yesterday when she was getting angry during therapy, she stopped and said "Mom, I'm not mad because of you."

That my friends?

Is CRAZY progress for so many reasons.

One? She identified her feeling. Two? She realized it wasn't because of me. Three? She told me.

I suppose this little square dance going on in our home is good......I could not handle everyone moshing together......also? When only one is really moving forward it allows me to see the growth.... to focus on their progress.

I have to say, I rocked the Virginia Rail back in the day....... I guess I can handle this dance as well.

xo
K.

3 comments:

Marguerite said...

You did rock it and you are now! That and the Salty Dog Rag :)

Capescrapper said...

Oh fun memories you brought back from Wellfleet Pier Square dances.

Glad that you are feeling good about the progress being made by your daughter, and sorry that there is still some challenging times ahead for your oldest.

Think of you often. :) You are doing amazing work!

Anonymous said...

Auntie Babe says that's what its all about !

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...