Last week was a real humdinger. (I never use that word, but, it seems strangely appropriate).
Our oldest is definitely improving in the classroom, and thankfully he has a strong, experienced teacher who "gets" the whole adoption "thing."
The twins started their third year in preschool last Tuesday...... I can ACTUALLY say that we did NOT come out of it unscathed.
In fact. The teacher has a broken foot.
Yes.
Today she sports a lovely, bright pink, cast.
Apparently there was a bit of a chase last week. The chase resulted in our youngest and his teacher toppling over. The grand finale was a broken foot.
Thankfully the teacher does not blame our little slick guy. She partially blames her flip flops.
The twins were "screened" over at the Elementary School, to see if they are on track academically, and it appears they are within range with that, and slightly behind on the social end. As my dear friend N stated, they would not have even BEEN in range had they been tested a few years ago.
Our Friday ended with a full fledged, on the ground, high volume, dirt flying, tantrum from our lovely daughter, when Mommy said no to going to a different playground with "a friend" of hers. A friend who I've never met, or seen, for that matter.
By the time my knight in shining armor came home, I was barely hanging on.
OK. I was barely hanging on - but - somehow WAS actually able to manage some quality time with the boys..... We have mastered tuning out screams. Oh. Yeah. The playground tantrum transitioned to a at home, in a bedroom, tantrum. Screaming. Literally. Until sleep took over.
Never ever has a sip of wine tasted so good as it did on Friday night.
One of the (many) benefits of sharing a bit more openly in regards to the struggles that come with adoption is information. You know the THIS WORKED FOR US - TRY IT! information......
A new friend with an equally challenged ...... life ..... offered me THIS advice.......
Rocking our daughter ....
with a bottle.
Does age matter?
Probably not.
We are giving to her .....
and to me for that matter ......
what was missed......
I tried it last night.
Rocking. Singing. Holding on to a bottle.
It was healing for both of us.
Were there more tantrums today?
You betcha.
But. You know what?
Babies cry and pitch fits.
And.
They get THEIR bottle each night. Regardless.
Or at least they SHOULD.
So.
My little tantrum throwing child shall as well.
Is it crazy?
Sure.
Then again ..... so am I.
xo
K.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing your blog. Just finished reading it. Crazy things I noticed. I also arrived in Seoul in the summer of 2008. I remember when J was in kinder, hearing you had adopted older kids, and wondering if you had heard of RAD and/or were getting support. Add to that I was teaching 4th last year and had every intention of doing the same thing this year until I was switched at the very last minute and I think we have a world of coincidences!!
:) Kim
Post a Comment