Ten years ago I was working for a financial planning company in upstate NY. A few of us were already in the office when the phone rang. A co-worker was calling, frantic, telling us to turn on the TV.
A plane had just hit the world trade center.
We turned on the TV, and like many in our nation, watched as the second plane hit.
I remember thinking that it looked like it was done on purpose.
That we were MEANT to be watching.
Our phones started ringing. The company has offices world wide. Other offices were calling to see if we were OK…. Not realizing we were about five hours north of NYC.
I was on the phone with a co-worker in Texas when my friend came into my office.
“The pentagon has been hit.” She said.
I couldn’t speak. I started to sob. The co-worker on the other end of the phone kept saying “Hello? Hello? I need to get off the phone. ARE YOU THERE?”
Shortly after we heard of the crash in Pennsylvania.
My (active duty Army) husband was away in training, preparing for his deployment to Kosovo, scheduled for a month or so later.
As I drove home from work that day I listened to the radio, and heard of the other areas being evacuated…. Disney Land, the Sears Tower ….. place after place was named……
I cried the entire way home.
I listened to the news that night as President Bush declared that we would act.
Realizing that meant my husband would be part of all of this.
While it was a comfort to know we had a strong military force, it was surreal to know that my husband would be one of the many sent.
Back at the office throughout the week we became very busy as soldiers came in to increase their life insurance policies, and get all their finances in order.
Within a couple of days, thousands of soldiers left our base.
Bits of reality started to set in, as I understood how much our world had changed.
Open bases, became closed.
Opinions became stronger.
Americans felt fear – on our own soil.
Our children have not known “peace” as we (my generation) did.
Our children are growing up in an entirely different world…..
A world where they don’t simply have “fire drills” at school, but, OTHER drills, for OTHER dangers.
A world where they take off their shoes, and throw their juice bottle away, to get on a plane.
A world where a Daddy is away, for a year.
A world where a three year old can respond “in Afghanistan” when asked where Daddy IS.
A world where a very young child stands, hand over heart, completely still, while their national anthem is played – knowing that it means something – something very important.
A world where, an earthquake, brings fears of another attack.
Sorrow - for those who lost their life that day.
Gratitude - for those who lost their life for our nation since that day.
Pride - for my husband who continues to serves every day.
xo
K.
2 comments:
Well said. I Love it. I didn't know you were in NY when this happened. Hope you all are doing just great, and thanks to your family for the service to our country!
Lynettte
I had chills reading this because I was there with you that day. It was surreal. None of us are the same since "that day."
Post a Comment