Friday, September 9, 2022

let go of the line

Waves were slapping up against the boat. The white caps of the angry waves seemed to be getting even bigger. Water was coming in, and I felt anxiety rising in my chest. I'm sinking. I'm sinking and I can't reach him. 

Hand over hand I grabbed the line, pulling it into the boat. I grabbed hold of the lifebuoy and threw it, as hard as I could. I tried yelling to him to grab onto it so I could pull him in. 

He couldn't hear me. 

I watched as the lifebuoy bobbed up and down right beside him. 

GRAB THE BUOY! GRAB IT!

I pulled it back in to the boat, again. 

I had this thought that if I used it like a lasso, he wouldn't have to do a thing. I could do it for him. I could get it around him, and pull him in. 

I threw it back out. 

Nothing. 

The wind and rain raged on, pelting me. I couldn't see. The boat was rocking and more than once I feared that I would be thrown into the sea myself. 

Panicking, screaming, terrified, I threw the buoy in again. 

And again.

And again.

Just grab it. JUST GRAB IT. 

I know you can, I know it, I know you can...

I didn't understand. 

I don't understand. 

Why isn't this working? IT'S RIGHT THERE. 

"Let go of the line"... 

I stared into the stormy night. I saw a second figure. 

Looking at me he said "Let go of the line."

"I'm here. I've got him. I won't leave."

"I'll stay right here with him."

"Let go. You are not the one who saves him. I am."

Terrified I dropped the line, and watched as it drifted away. The water around the boat calmed, but the storm still raged. I wasn't in the storm at all. 

My boat drifted from the black skies. 

I watched from a distance. 

Two figures in the dark water. Side by side. 

The second figured locked His eyes with mine. 

"Kristin, don't worry. This isn't my first storm."

xo

No comments:

it's my choice now

  I sat down for my quiet time a lot later than usual, this morning. The sun was up and filling the room where I was sitting.   Going throug...